Monday, January 4, 2016

2015 in Review & 2016 Plans

Happy New Year Everyone!

First off, I want to apologize at being horrible with updating my blog. After September last year things got crazy with work and the weather so I didn't get any stitching done until the end of November :(

That said, it's time to go over 2015 and my plans for a FAR more productive stitching year in 2016. To check it out click on Read More!



As I mentioned, I didn't get any stitching done until the end of the year so most of my planned 2015 starts never happened. I did manage however to get a finish!

A Very Merry Christmas Town Mystery SAL 
By The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery


I had a love and hate relationship with this project. My fabric had far more slubs in it than your average piece of linen and where the background of the Candy Shop sign is the fabric was the same color as the floss. The pattern itself however I loved!
This took a total of 15 stitching days to finish and it was stitched on 28ct Cashel Linen from Picture This Plus in the Crystal Arctic colorway. It was given to my Mother for Christmas and she picked out the frame and framed it herself (I let her decide how she wanted it finished) but she was so excited she did it before I got to sign it. Oh well!

Now onto the one and only WIP moving from 2015 to 2016.

Celtic Summer
By Lavender and Lace (Conversion by ThalieFrance)


I love the Lavender and Lace Celtic seasons. I adore each and every stitch I put into this. I would be much further along, but when I hit 15% I stopped so I could use her for the 2016 Lavender and Lace Stitch-a-long for Cross Stitch and Discuss on Facebook. She is stitched on 28ct Mushroom Lugana and I catch myself pulling her out of her WIP bag just to look at it! The SAL starts January 5th so I can start stitching on her again tomorrow!

Hey Amanda? What happened to your Heaven and Earth Design?
As embarrassing as this is to admit, I made a large mistake with my first HAED. I started stitching on the recommended 25ct fabric, and stitched 2 over 1. At first, it was not an issue and I really loved stitching it. The closer and closer I got to a page finish however, the thicker and thicker the piece got until I couldn't even get a 28 needle through the stitches to make the next stitch. It was miserable and I didn't like stitching on it anymore as it was nearly impossible, so I made the choice to stop before I got any further and will restart on a different fabric.
Note for Fellow Stitchers: Always test stitch...always.

Now on to 2016!

2016 is a huge year for me for stitching, or at least that's the plan! I have joined 4 different SALs and have completely reorganized the way my supplies are stored, let alone where I do my stitching. The first SAL is already started and I can't say how fun it is to see everyone's progress even though mine is slow!

SAL #1 ~ Mermaids of the Deep Blue 
 By Mirabilia


CSAD Mirabilia SAL 2016 Day 1
As you can see I got a total of 12 stitches done on the first day of the SAL. I had one of the mermaid's arms stitched, but I decided I wanted to stitch the skin 1 over 1 and frogged the arm. I have more finished than this now, but this is the best representation of the fabric. The fabric is 32ct Belfast Linen from Picture this Plus in the Gothic colorway. This chart has 12 (yes 12) packages of beads in it so I decided to stitch the metallics along with the DMC so I wouldn't have the metallics *and* the beads at the end. Due to the count and color of the fabric it's slow going, but I wouldn't change it for anything!

SAL #2 is Celtic Summer (See Above)

SAL #3 ~ Story Time Sampler
By The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery


This SAL has not started yet, and really doesn't have a start date. It's not an "official" SAL as it's the 2015 mystery SAL, but Ashleigh and I decided that this would be what we stitched together in 2016. (2015 being A Very Merry Christmas Town and the Biscornu SAL)
I wouldn't be surprised if each year Ashleigh and I do a Frosted Pumpkin chart for our personal SALs. I think it's the fact the owners of FPS share our names and addiction for cute! I could be wrong though.

SAL #4 - Once Upon a Time
By Heaven and Earth Designs (Artwork by Anne Stokes)

2016 CSAD Heaven and Earth SAL
I can not stop looking at this artwork and the supplies. I.love.it.
Some of you may know this about me already from Instagram, but I am stupid picky about dragons. I mean STUPID picky. Artwork inspired by Asian style dragons is beautiful, but it's not my thing. A majority of other dragon art, I just do not like. Never have, never will...no clue why.
I looked through every single HAED chart in one day looking for a dragon/other charts I liked. There was some of Anne Stokes art mixed in, but I was so tired of looking at charts it didn't click. Then Michele posted this on Facebook saying it was coming soon. Michele, I love you for charting this. Anne I love your artwork, it just...UGH love it don't know what else to say.
The SAL starts on January 13th. I have everything ready *except* the fabric as learning from my previous HAED I did some test stitching. I will be stitching this 1 over 1 on 28ct...something. I will be ordering the fabric today or tomorrow.

I have a few other planned starts up my sleeves for 2016 but as this post is long enough as it is I'll save them for my next post, which will most likely be a WIP update and haul. After all, I have to have something for you all to want to come back to ;)

Till next time!

2 comments:

  1. Great update. Your mom did a wonderful job framing your Christmas Town looks great and the stitching is too. looking forward to your next update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Cindy! I hope to have at least one, if not two more posts coming this month.

    ReplyDelete